The media and communications industries are constantly shifting and evolving, and so should our professional skills. Nowadays, companies are looking for individuals and consultants who are skilled in many areas.
The public relations experts at Adoni Media have some top tips for you.
How to upskill?
It’s important to put time aside to continually upskill and work on your professional development. There are many ways you can improve your skills including:
- Post-graduate study
- Skillshare courses
- Find a mentor
- Network and talk to professionals with other skillsets
- Podcasts, webinars or live events
- Practise skills such as writing a blog, engaging with social media and reading.
What skills should I improve?
As technology improves, content changes, along with approaches to marketing and PR. Boosting your skills will help you stay relevant in your industry and make you stand out from other professionals. Here are some areas you should build knowledge and skills around.
- Keyword research
- Trends analysis
- Web analytics
- User experience of content across multiple platforms.
Media and graphics:
- Creating videos and editing
- Trends in social media graphics
- Podcast creation
- GIFS and memes
- Optimising audio-visual and imagery on blogs and websites.
It’s not only important to have analytical and creative skills but also soft skills, particularly when it comes to PR. These include:
- Planning and research
- Composure when it comes to crisis response and communication
- Media training and presentation skills
- Building a network of media professionals
- Flexibility and ability to adapt quickly.